Re: 1.5.4-1: Problem with XEmacs, fonts, and subprocesses.

Yadin Y. Goldschmidt wrote:

It is true that making a xemacs.bat file which contains
c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\run.exe /bin/bash -c
"/usr/local/bin/i686-pc-cygwin/xemacs" makes XEmacs run correctly
under cygwin 1.5.5. (Actually one needs to add a line 'set
cygwin=tty ' before that line if one does not already have it in
the windows' environment). Alternatively one can run it from rxvt.
By running correctly I mean nvoking secondary processes like
opening a shell or compiling a program. However the bigger
question is why XEmacs ran correctly before from its icon on the
desk and it does not run correctly now? It must be something that
has changed going from cygwin 1.3.22 to 1.5 that prevents runnung
this application from the dos command line when it was compiled
with cygwin. In 1.3.22 it ran flawlessly. It seems that this
change affects also some other applications.

Right, it was a change in the 1.5.x series related to tty management code. I think the changes made to help services run without pop-up windows broke XEmacs

> I wonder also if once XEmacs is compiled with 1.5.5 it will also
> run from the dos prompt or icon or not.

I compile my own XEmacs and it does not make a difference. It also doesn't matter if XEmacs is compiled with X support or not.

I have not experienced the problem with fonts, but I do have a problem with copy/paste; it stops interacting with the Windows clipboard once a subshell is started, unless XEmacs is started from rxvt. One interesting bit of information is that if XEmacs is configured to use pipes instead of ttys for subprocesses (setq process-connection-type nil), copy/paste works fine.

I've taken several stabs at debugging this problem, but the tty management in the Cygwin kernel is over my head.

"Henry S. Thompson" <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk> wrote in message
f5bllrxpdi4.fsf@erasmus.inf.ed.ac.uk">news:f5bllrxpdi4.fsf@erasmus.inf.ed.ac.uk...