dpkg --info crashes / dpkg-deb --info hangs

I ran into a problem using dpkg, like this:

$ dpkg --info dpkg_1.9.21_i386.deb
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I can send the .stackdump file if it's interesting, but I'm running into the
100K limit.

Since dpkg --info is pretty close to dpkg-deb --info, I tried that next.

$ dpkg-deb --info dpkg_1.9.21_i386.deb
 new debian package, version 2.0.
 size 1073426 bytes: control archive= zi bytes.
      72 bytes,     3 lines      conffiles
     857 bytes,    23 lines      control
    5675 bytes,   240 lines   *  postinst             #!/bin/sh
      86 bytes,    10 lines   *  postrm               #!/bin/sh
    2423 bytes,    86 lines   *  preinst              #!/bin/sh
     442 bytes,    20 lines   *  prerm                #!/bin/sh
 Package: dpkg
 Version: 1.9.21
 Section: base
 Architecture: i386
 Essential: yes
 Pre-Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4), libncurses5 (>= 5.2.20020112a-1),
libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 (>= 1:2.95.4-0.010810)
 Conflicts: sysvinit (<< 2.80)
 Replaces: dpkg-doc-ja
 Installed-Size: 2840
 Origin: debian
 Maintainer: Dpkg Development <debian-dpkg@lists.debian.org>
 Bugs: debbugs://bugs.debian.org
  This package contains the programs which handle the installation and
  removal of packages on your system.
  .
  The primary interface for the dpkg suite is the `dselect' program;
  a more low-level and less user-friendly interface is available in
  the form of the `dpkg' command.
  .
  In order to unpack and build Debian source packages you will need to
  install the developers' package `dpkg-dev' as well as this one.

This seems OK, except for a few things:

- I don't get a prompt back.
- There's an rm process running that is eating up all my CPU.
- The size of the control archive isn't really zi bytes.

If I kill the rm process via the task manager, the message:

rm cleanup failed, code 256

appears, and I get my prompt back.  At that point, echo $? displays 0.

I got the package from http://packages.debian.org/stable/base/dpkg.html by
clicking on the Go To Download Page button at the bottom.  I get the same
results for other packages I built with my own two hands.

I went ahead and got the source (dpkg-1.10.4-1), and built it using the
dpkg-1.10.4-1.sh script (mkdirs prep conf build install).  The output of the
dpkg-deb I built by hand is the same as the one in the package.  The stack
trace is for the dpkg binary I installed with setup.

Interestingly,

$ dpkg-deb --contents dpkg_1.9.21_i386.deb

works fine.

$ dpkg --contents dpkg_1.9.21_i386.deb

crashes the same way dpkg --info does.  Again, both the setup-installed
binaries, and the ones I built from source behave the same way.

$ strace dpkg-deb --info dpkg_1.9.21_i386.deb >dpkg-deb.info.strace

also hangs.  I'll send the strace file in another post so the mailing list
software will take it.  There appears to be some kind of infinite loop in
rm.

dpkg-deb is creating a directory in /tmp (e. g. /tmp/dpkg610ca768.0) which
remains after I terminate rm.  The directory is empty as far as I can tell.
Perhaps this is interesting info:

DByron@DByron /usr/src/dpkg-1.10.4/dpkg-deb
$ ls -l /tmp/dpkg610ca768.0/
total 0

DByron@DByron /usr/src/dpkg-1.10.4/dpkg-deb
$ getfacl /tmp/dpkg610ca768.0/
# file: /tmp/dpkg610ca768.0/
# owner: DByron
# group: SYSTEM
user::rwx
group::r-x
mask:rwx
other:r-x
default:user::rwx
default:group::r-x
default:other:r-x

Thanks much for any help you can provide.

-DB