Re: messed up user permissions from w2k terminal session

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, James D Below wrote:

> HI everyone,
>
> I'm not sure how I did it but I messed up my user permissions or local
> policy settings.  Now whenever I run any cygwin app (bash.exe, wc.exe,
> rxvt.exe) from a w2k terminal session and logged in as a user, I see the
> following error:
>
>   **** CreateFileMapping, Win32 error 5.  Terminating.
>
> I'm running Windows 2000 SP4 and CYGWIN = binmode tty ntsec
>
> More specific details....
>
> If I am logged into the console I can run any cygwin apps. When I log in
> remotely to the server through ssh, everything is fine.  The only time a
> problem occurs is when I login through a terminal server client using an
> account other than "Administrator". The administrator account doesn't
> experience problem. A user account belonging in the Administrators group does.
>
> I am at a loss trying to figure out which policy/permission was changed to
> cause this problem.
>
> I've been google'ing for a few days trying to track down what might have
> changed but to no avail.
>
> Any hints on troubleshooting errors like this or an idea as to what
> permission/policy is needed for "CreateFileMapping", would be appreciated.
>
> If a cygcheck would be helpful let me know and I will send one.
>
> thanks
> James

A cygcheck output wouldn't hurt in any case (please attach it, though,
rather than including it inline), but another piece of information that
might help is the output of "ls -l /bin/ls.exe; getfacl /bin/ls.exe".

BTW, "net helpmsg 5" results in "Access is denied".
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu