Re: Using authentication under Apache for Cygwin

Brian Dessent wrote:

Andrew DeFaria wrote:

Hmmm... As I said it appears to work in the local case. Or are you saying I should try to break that by playing with permissions? Are there any examples of "smbntsec" issues?

I mean I suspect that if I do something as small as remove read permission for other on .htaccess then the server will not be able to read the file thus it would break. But what would that tell me? What exactly am I looking for?

I may play with this as you suggest tomorrow at work. At home I don't use SMB for my web site - at least not yet.

As a temporary solution, what happens if you mount the SMB share as a drive and then use "/cygdrive/x/path" instead of the UNC style "//machine/share/path"? If that made it work then it might indicate that it's the path handling code somewhere (i.e. Apache not liking // as a valid posix path) versus a permissions problem.

Ah this works! And I get much shorter and consistent (in my mind) pathnames in my httpd.conf file! What I did is mount -bsf //sonscentral/users/adefaria/www /www. Now my DocumentRoot is simple /www, etc!

Workarounds include moving your web site to your local drive (not a nice option for me because then it won't be backed up, which is why I stored it remotely), mount the remote location locally or make a symlink pointing to the remote location (I believe that worked too).

Thanks for the help all.
===
BREAKFAST.COM Halted...Cereal Port Not Responding