Re: Strange make [Error 255] (cygwin bug?)

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 10:38:07AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 09:36:28AM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
>> Christopher Faylor writes:
>>
>> > In any event, this might help:
>> >
>> > mount -f -X c:/cygwin/bin /bin
>> > mount -f -x c:/cygwin/bin/strace.exe /bin/strace.exe
>> > mount -f -x c:/cygwin/bin/cygcheck.exe /bin/cygcheck.exe
>>
>> Why can this not be the default, are there any other executables that
>> need to mounted '-x'?
>
>mount -X is a bit of a workaround.  While it speeds up starting
>apps from that directory, it disallows correct argument passing
>for non-Cygwin applications in the same directory.  Therefore
>the two additional mount -x for strace and cygcheck, bot mingw
>apps.
>
>I don't think that's a good idea to default /bin to -X.

Right.  It could be an option in setup.exe, I suppose but making
it the default could open up a Pandora's box of other issues.

-X should be faster than -x, and -x is faster than nothing.  Basically,
any make option which gives a hint to cygwin on the executability of the
file should speed things up slightly.  So, if you know that a file or
directory is not executable, mounting it as -E helps also.

cgf