RE: man 1.5j - can't find cat, tbl, nroff, less

Sent: 23 September 2003 17:32 From: Kevin Van Workum
> I had the same problem this morning after changing the share permission on
> my C-drive from Everyone, to Administrator and Kevin. Once I added
> Administrators (note the "s"), the problem was fixed. I guess /bin/cat,
> etc were owned by Administrators and not Administrator. Whatever.

Hmmm, adding 'administrators' did fix the problem.
As which user (uid) does cygwin run?
The owner of the files in /bin is the 'administrators' group, and the owning
group is 'Domain Users'.
I presume cygwin is checking NT file system permissions for the owner and if
this is denied it doesn't check to see if the current userid is a member of
that owner (which is a group in this case), it's a little odd as if the
owner does have NT file permissions to the files it does appear to perform
that check.
Rather than add administrators to the root file permissions for the drive
(D: in my case), is there a major problem with changing the owner from the
administrators group to the 'system' id and adding execute permission for
the domain users group? i.e. from 500 to 510.
I suppose this comes back to 'as which user does cygwin run?'.