RE: Problem with stopping postmaster with pg_ctl

Here is what I have found and surmised .....

The way Postgres controls things is, when it starts up, it stores the PID it
started under in a file called postgresql.pid in the data directory.  When
you use "pg_ctl stop", it reads the pid file and the issues a kill -15 on
that pid.  It then sits and waits for postgresql.pid to disappear.  After
one minute, if the file is still there, the script gives up and announces
that the postmaster will not stop.

If you try this, you'll notice that when you get to the kill in the script,
you'll get the Usage info on screen.  There is nothing wrong with how pg_ctl
is formatting the kill.  If you echo out that command and execute it from
the command line, it works just fine.

I believe the problem is Cygwin's implementation of kill.  From the command
line if you say kill -sig pid, it works.  If you say /etc/kill -sig pid it
gives you Usage.  There is something about when you give the fully qualified
path that it finds offensive.  The script does not give the fully qualified
path, but based on the behavior, I'm guessing the interpreter resolves to
the fully qualified path before executing.

Anyway, to work around this problem do this:

1) ps
This gives you a list of active processes.

2) Find the pid for Postgres who's ppid is 1.

3) kill -15 that pid.

4) Wait for the message that the database is shut down.

You are now shut down.

John Pagakis
Email: john@pagakis.com

We dance around in a ring and suppose,
   But the Secret sits in the middle and knows.
       -- Robert Frost

This signature generated by
     ... and I Quote!!(tm) Copyright (c) 1999 SpaZmodic Frog Software, Inc.
                                              www.spazmodicfrog.com