Re: Cygwin, Rsync and 8-bit chars (SJIS)

Ok, What's a managed mount when its at home?  I've found lots of messages
talking about its bugs but nothing explaining what it is yet or what about
it that is useful.

---------------------------------
Q-Games, Dylan Cuthbert.
http://www.q-games.com

"Igor Pechtchanski" <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> wrote in message
Pine.GSO.4.56.0309161058290.12411@slinky.cs.nyu.edu">news:Pine.GSO.4.56.0309161058290.12411@slinky.cs.nyu.edu...
> Dylan,
>
> This seems like a good excuse to try the managed mount mode.  Search the
> August archives for it.  Be aware, though, that this is a *highly*
> experimental feature, and it currently requires a newly-created directory.
> Igor
>
> On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Dylan Cuthbert wrote:
>
> > After reading up some more about Cygwin's libs, I think the
> > double-backslashes that are appearing are causing cygwin to think the
path
> > is a DOS path, not a posix-style one.
> >
> > The reason the backslashes are there is because SJIS uses them as the
second
> > character in the encoding of some of its double-byte characters, I can't
> > change that unfortunately.
> >
> > If this is the case then I could really do with some secret CYGWIN flag
> > (couldn't find it in the user guide) that can disable the DOS path
parsing
> > temporarily, by using [env CYGWIN=nodospaths tty ntsec rsync "blah"]
for
> > example?
> >
> > Anybody got a clue as to what to do here?  It seems as if Cygwin might
be
> > broken when it comes to SJIS filenames because of this, maybe the "is
this a
> > DOS path" check could be more stringent?  If the path has forward
slashes,
> > even one, maybe it can be left untouched?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > ---------------------------------
> > Q-Games, Dylan Cuthbert.
> > http://www.q-games.com
> >

> > "Dylan Cuthbert" <dylan@q-games.com> wrote in message
> > bk7499$7c9$1@sea.gmane.org">news:bk7499$7c9$1@sea.gmane.org...
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > I'm having a problem with SJIS encoded (windows) filenames and
rsync'ing
> > > them anywhere.  It doesn't happen for all files and as far as I can
make
> > out
> > > the problem occurs when the filename is fully japanese (as opposed to
some
> > > english text followed by some japanese text).
> > >
> > > One of the bad filenames in question is:
> > >
> > > 'ls -b's output:
> > >
> > > \225\\\216\206.doc
> > >
> > > It has a triple-backslash sequence in it, maybe this is the problem?
I'm