Re: cygwin1.dll - debug version (RE: similar crash in mmap for 1.5.3-1)

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:41:46AM +0200, Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) wrote:
>> From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com]On Behalf
>> Of Christopher Faylor
>
><SNIP>
>> ... You can't get a reliable crash dump
>> from a stripped DLL, which cygwin1.dll is, of course.  I can't believe
>> that this has to be a FAQ entry but apparently it does.
>>
>> If you want to help with a back trace, you have to build your own version
>> of the DLL with debugging symbols.
>
>Idea, to help debug things like the above:
>
> Alt 1) Make an _unstripped_ cygwin1.dll available in a package named
>        "cygwin-DEBUG-dll" or some such. Also make it be "TEST/Exp" forever.
> Alt 2) Have an unstripped cygwin1-DEBUG.dll added to the basic package,
>        add a simple "cygswapdll" utility.
>
>Is this a Good or Bad idea?

The new version of binutils allows you to strip debug information and put
it in a separate file. Then you can provide that file to gdb and use it
for debugging.

If I was going to do anything, that is what I would do.  I'd just provide
the debug info for the released binaries.  This is one of the reasons why
I uploaded a new binutils and gdb recently, in fact.

However, like everything there are two problems 1) lack of tuit cycles and
2) it won't stop people from running gdb on their binaries and reporting
that strdup is causing a problem in mmap.  There will still be a "download
the debug info" step no matter what.

cgf