Re: Adding cygwin/bin to dos path

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Brock Filer wrote:

> I installed Cygwin a couple hours ago and I added the
> bin directory to my autoexec.bat path setting. Put it
> at the end so that the UNIX commands wouldn't override
> MS commands with the same name.
> Mostly I did this so I can call a bash script from a
> java program without a lot of OS sniffing.
> My question is, was this a foolish and stupid thing to do?

Not at all.  In fact, that's the way I have it set up - it causes minimal
disruption in the existing batch files and commands.  Unless you have MKS
earlier in the path, you should be able to simply call 'bash -c "Any
Cygwin Command"' anyway.

However, you won't be able to call bash scripts directly.  You'll need to
invoke bash and let it start the script (even if it's not a bash script --
bash will honor the #! magic).  This should work on other systems as well,
so the code will be portable.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/