Re: Cygwin Win-stall on 98, SSH to Mandrake won't run GUI

At 04:50 PM 9/3/2003, Botl J. Rokit you wrote:
>I will be apologizing to Cygwin-XFree list, because I sent a message to you by accident.  I apologize for spamming.
>
>Everyone, I hate to ask you this, but I'm just too green.  Before we get into the rightful rattletrap about GUI crutches, my end users are all Win-dependent, and anything that I can remotely kick off and force their hand at is more beautiful than you'd ever know.
>
>I have installed Cygwin on a Windows 98 and 2000 computer (twice over, two different boxes), and have been able to command-prompt over to my new Mandrake Linux 9.1 computers.  I can even get to root, of course!  I simply can't get the GUI to come up, when I attempt to run things like MCC (Mandrake Control Center).  I get this message:
>
>Unknown terminal: cygwin
>Check the TERM environment variable.
>Also make sure that the terminal is defined in the terminfo database.
>Alternatively, set the TERMCAP environment variable to the desired
>termcap entry.
>tset: unknown terminal type cygwin
>Terminal type?
>
>Now at this point, I get to enter either "cygwin" (which ends up saying, again, "Unknown terminal: cygwin") or "vt100" (just to shut it up).  At that point, I get a remark that says
>
>Erase is backspace.
>
>And that's that.  Being incredibly new, I'm not even certain *where* to look.  I can say, however, that I *suspect* that it's because I haven't defined something on either of my linux b0x3n.  And that I'm a total newbie.
>
>Thanks for the help.  Seriously.

Did you google?

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&num=10&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=Unknown+terminal%3A+cygwin&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=cygwin.com&safe=images

Holliston, MA 01746