bash won't clear down ?

Ive been using cygwin for a few weeks now, its great & so darn usefull, however I have one query.

I run 98SE, use rxvt for a terminal. When I close the shell & tell windows to re-boot it frequently refuses saying a program will not shut down. There are no programms running. If I ctrl-alt-del, one or more occurances of bash are running, when & only when I terminate these will 98SE reboot.

It does not seem to matter if I "exit" bash or click on "x" close window, the same result.

Any ideas
Dave