Re: library vis export library

A DLL is a DLL
Whether you
create a DLL by compiling a source file and linking to the correct DLL
format
or assemble precompiled objects and create the DLL which creates the headers
for the exported functions and variables (essentially identifying the exact
signature needed by the linker)
really doesnt matter

Have you ever tried to execute a binary and it croaked because of memory or
resource limitations?
Have you had a common piece of functionality that you would want multiple
developers to Link and Free when they need it...then a DLL will be the
answer
Exporting objects out of a library and relink it with aforementioned gcc
exportlibrary
gcc -shared -o cyg${module}.dll \
    -Wl,--out-implib=lib${module}.dll.a \
    -Wl,--export-all-symbols \
    -Wl,--enable-auto-import \
    -Wl,--whole-archive ${old_lib} \
    -Wl,--no-whole-archive ${dependency_libs}

will create a DLL for you
A dll can be shared by everyone and can be dynamically loaded and unloaded
leaving a smaller resource footprint
than their weightier static library cousins who are usually bound into huge
weighyy binaries
Hth,
Martin