Re: Managed mode problem

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 10:04:21AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I was trying to build nn under Cygwin, and found it contains a file called
> > aux.sh, a file called aux.c and a file called aux.h; none of which Windows
> > would like, of course.
> >
> > Having Cygwin 1.5.2 installed, I thought I'd try out that spiffy new managed
> > mode, as running `tar xzvf nn-6.6.5.tar.Z' failed miserably (hung until I
> > killed Bash, tar and gz) so I put my tarball in /foo, which is mounted in
> > managed mode (see cygcheck.out for details on my system).
> >
> > That didn't change the behaviour of tar/gzip much, though, as the process
> > still seems to hang while untarring the tarball on the managed mount.
> >
> > Below are the cygcheck output, the tarball itself and the last stackdump from
> > gzip. If you need anything else, I'll be happy to provide.
> >
> > HTH
> > rlc
>
> Ronald,
>
> You might want to run this under strace and search the output for "aux"...
> See if that provides any clues.  Another thing to try is to create a STC
> by "touch"ing a file called "aux.c" in a managed directory, then taring it
> into, say, test.tar, and then trying to untar it.  My guess is that
> compression has nothing to do with this problem, so you can try creating
> an uncompressed tar first.  If you can reproduce the problem on this
> smaller tar archive, an strace (bzipped) should be of a manageable size to
> post, and would likely be helpful (to CGF if noone else) in finding the
> problem.
> 	Igor
I'd been considering that but haven't had the time yet.
Anyways:
$ touch aux.x
touch: setting times of `aux.x': Invalid argument

$ mount
c:\foo on /foo type system (binmode,managed)

$ pwd
/foo

Strace of touch is available here:
da43f49aca1b4d825cd3c65d1539d9ed *touch.strace
http://blytkerchan.chez.tiscali.fr/touch.strace

The managed-ness of the mount doesn't seem to be kicking in..
    324  1766  225955 [main] touch 1344 fhandler_base::open: 0x214 = CreateFile
    324 (c:\foo\aux.x, 0x40000000, 0x7, 0x22F9E0, 0x4, 0x2000080, 0)

Oddness is gaping at me: mount clearly reports the mount as managed, but Cygwin
seems to happily ignore its new feature..

HTH

rlc

--
"The move was on to 'Free the Lizard'"

  -- Jim Hamerly and Tom Paquin (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)