Re: Bug in make?

RM> Has anyone seen this problem before? ...
RM>
RM> make
RM>
RM> @echo hi
RM> /bin/bash: line 1: @echo: command not found
RM> make: *** [a] Error 127

IP> FYI, any shell (I tried /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, etc) tries to execute '@echo',
IP> with the obvious result.

Of course, I thought that was self-evident so I didn't remark on it.
The issue is that make _should_ process the @ and does if the case is
simplified any further.

IP> However, changing the shell to ' /bin/bash -x' might prove
IP> instructive.

Good point, I didn't do that.  The output is:

make SHELL=~/bin/echo-bash -f make-define-bug.mk

  @echo hi
+ bash -c '@echo hi'
bash: line 1: @echo: command not found
make: *** [a] Error 127

I'm not sure what I was supposed to see.  I know the @ is being passed
to the shell.  Or did I miss something?

IP> It seems the blank line (anywhere in the sequence) confuses the define
IP> processor in make and makes it forgo the processing of the prefix
IP> characters after the blank line.  This could well be a bug in
IP> make.

Yes, that's what I think.  But I suspect it is specific to cygwin, the
same makefile works fine on our local GNU/Linux box.

Thanks for looking into it.  As always cygwin rules!

Cheers,
--
Robert