Re: What is the minimum needed to run gtar?

From: "Biederman, Steve" <steve_biederman@mentorg.com>
To: "'cygwin@cygwin.com'" <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Subject: What is the minimum needed to run gtar?
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 17:04:53 -0700

Steve Biederman said:
> I want to allow the users I support to be able to run Cygwin tar on their
Windows
> machines.
> These machines have not had any Cygwin installed; they're just bare
Windows machines.
> I provided them tar.exe and cygwin1.dll and assumed that with these, they
could ru
> Cygwin tar sucessfully.  It appears that that isn't the case: machines
without Cygwin
> installed see different behavior than machines which have it installed.
(Running tar
> on machines without Cygwin installed creates incorrect tar archives.)
> What is the minimum I need to provide to a non-Cygwin Windows machine to
get
> Cygwin tar to run reliably?

Steve, have you looked into DJGPP? DJGPP creates 32-bit DOS executables,
and I believe one of the "standard" tools available from the DJGPP project
is GNU tar. This should run on any Win32 box without needing additional dll
files.

Keep in mind, though, that if you are using one of the compression options
(-z, -j, -Z) that you will also need a DOS-callable version of gzip, bzip2,
or compress.

Fred

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely
for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you have
received this email in error please notify information_systems@computrition.com.
Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those
of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Computrition, Inc.
Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses.
Computrition, Inc. accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.