RE: "contents altered after message signed" when sending openssl smime signed messages - partial work around found

When sending out of cygwin and using the "-nodetach" parameter, it kind of
works:
- the mail looks like encrypted instead of signed in the Outlook inbox (blue
dot at the bottom right of the envelope icon).
- when opening the message - all is fine: the content can be read, outlook
claims that the signature is good,  and all of a sudden the red
"Signature-Icon" is fine too!

Detached signatures, however, still are a problem - and, when looking at a
"-nodetach" mail for example with your ISP's web mail, you will not be able
to see the content separated from a smime.p7s signature attachment, but all
in a hard-to-unpack smime.p7m attachment.

The underlying problem is still awaiting resolution any help or
idea-providing similar experiences are appreciated. A solution attempt
report to date:
With Steve's help, we went through the interim step of creating a mail.eml
file and visualized its CR characters

cat -vte file.eml

but I didn't see any differences in the produced "dollars" at the end of
each line.
To my eye, (ediff choked), just the last 5 lines of the signature block were
different, but that could well be because the signatures didn't occur at the
exact same times and I guess the message's timestamp will cause differences
there.