Install 1.3.22-1 problem - default text file type - DOS

Greetings,

When installing 1.3.22-1 on XP, I select DOS as the default text file
type.  Unfortunately, the packages I use, flex and gcc, don't appear
to correspond to this setting.  For gcc, I wrote this program:

#include <stdio.h>
int main() {
char *token;
token = "\n";
printf("token[0] = %d; token[1] = %d\n",token[0],token[1]);
return 0;
}

which gives me 10 and 0 when I expected 13 and 10.  Also, in flex,
all of my patterns were broken until I substituted the octal values
\015 and \012 for \n.  Since this appears in more than one package
and my previous version of Cygwin, 1.1.7, worked correctly with
older versions of these packages, I believe there may been an
installation problem with this latest version, but I don't know how
to test this, let alone fix it.  I am thinking of trying my old
installation on the XP to see if that will fix the problems I am
having with the newer versions.  I welcome any suggestions.  TIA.

Francis R. Harvey III
WB303, x3952
harveyf1@westat.com

VB programmers know the wisdom of Nothing