Re: cygwin to backup Windows data

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 06:34:24PM -0700, Brian Dessent wrote:
>Robert Citek wrote:
>>A chemist friend of mine at the FDA has some questions about Cygwin and
>>how it interacts with Windows.  Below is his e-mail message to me which
>>he asked to forward to the list if I felt it would help.  I have some
>>questions of my own to ask him, but thought I would put it on the list
>>for some insight into what other questions I should ask him and what
>>other questions he should be asking his supervisors.
>>
>>BTW, I am not any of the vendors, just a colleague.
>
>This is too generic a question.  Cygwin is just a set of libraries that
>provide a Unix-like environment to programs...  the behavior you
>describe would depend entirely on how those programs are written.
>Without any details of the proposed solutions, no one will be able to
>tell you anything.  For example, if rsync is being used to copy files
>to the backup server then it would depend on how rsync handles files
>that are open and being written to by other processes...and that would
>be a question for the rsync mailing list, or for the vendors that are
>offering those solutions to the bid.

Absotively.  I'm intrigued by these vendors who are offering a cygwin
solution to this problem.  You'd have to guess that they probably don't
have much cygwin support experience if these types of questions are
seeping into the cygwin mailing list.  I'd expect that the vendors should
be able to do an adequate job of explaining things otherwise.

cgf