Re: Using usernames and permissions from Windows domain accounts

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Hugo Bouckaert wrote:

> Hi
>
> How can you set up cygwin so that Windows domain usernames are being
> used, rather than what I have now, which is, at the cygwin prompt:
>
> Administrator@machine>
>
> Note that people are logging into the machine as a domain user, but as
> that domain user they are administrator on their local machine. This is
> (I think) why cygwin puts Administrator@machine> at the prompt. However,
> I would like people to have a cygwin prompt which recognises their
> Windows domain username as well as the permissions, so that if they go
> into a directory with cygwin (for example a mapped Z drive), the windows
> permissions are taken into account when commands are given at the cygwin
> prompt.
>
> How can this be done?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Hugo

Make sure your /etc/passwd and /etc/group are up to date.  Look at the
output of "id".  If you see either "mkpasswd" or "mkgroup" in that output,
try updating both with domain information.  Also, make sure that ntsec is
on (i.e., your CYGWIN environment variable doesn't contain "nontsec").
Reading <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> would also be useful for general
guidelines on reporting problems with Cygwin (in particular, it's a good
idea to attach the output of "cygcheck -svr", which, BTW, also includes
the output of "id" and the ntsec information).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu