Re: Allowing cygwin setup to patch up old versions

chris wrote:
> I tend (like I suspect many other people) to update my cygwin every
> couple of weeks. As cygwin by default keeps packages it downloads it
> would make sense to distribute patches to existing files.
>
> As a tiny example:
>
> emacs-21.2-11.tar.bzip2 : 8MB
> emacs-21.2-12.tar.bzip2 : 8MB
> patch: 177K
>
> emacs-21.2-11-src.tar.bzip2 : 19MB
> emacs-21.2-12-src.tar.bzip2 : 19MB
> patch : 3K (!)

This sounds like a very useful thing to do.
Question: What format are the patches? Some kind of binary format, I assume,
since they will need to be able to reconstruct the archives exactly, so the
MD5 checks can pass.

> As I would like to try to do something useful for the cygwin project, I
> am currently working on a proof-of-principle patcher that seems to be
> working well.
>
> I would like to try to pull this into the main cygwin setup tree, and
> was wondering if there is any kind of document that specifies exactly
> how files will be set out on both the computer and the server, of if I
> should just parse the code and see where it says files live? :)

Such as it is, documentation is at:
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin-apps/setup.html

Please join the cygwin-apps@cygwin.com list. That is where setup development
discussion happens.