Re: "Using Cygwin Effectively with Windows" -- Draft of new User's Guide section

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 02:55:13PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:
>
> > --Q: Does anyone know of a page that lists command line configuration
> > utilities included with Windows 95/98/ME vs. Windows NT4/2000/XP?
>
> Try <http://web.archive.org/web/20020601162305/http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1999-04/lw-04-thereandback.html>
> and <http://research.microsoft.com/users/simonpj/win32-cheat.html>.  The
> first link is actually a snapshot from the internet archive -- the page
> itself seems to be gone.

Thanks. These are not exactly what I was looking for, but useful info.

> > --There's basically nothing on Java except a sample about translating
> > the CLASSPATH to DOS format. I'm not sure what else to put in.
>
> I've posted a message a couple of months ago with wrapper scripts for Java
> and Co that do the proper conversions of parameters.

> > There are no Cygwin-native java compilers, right?
>
> Well, I use jikes, which, IIRC, built OOTB.  Haven't gotten around to
> packaging it up yet, but probably will work on that shortly.

I noticed your scripts (and a bunch of other Cygwin-java scripts around the
'net), but I was going to wait until later to add a java section. Having
jikes as a package would be great (and encourages me to wait until then),
though if I understand the jikes site correctly users would still need
a separate Java JDK or JRE installed. A full java implementation on Cygwin
would be something worth a whole section of the User's Guide.