Re: How to delete cygwin files?

Peng Yu wrote:

> Hi,
>     I installed cygwin a few months ago(installed on XP). I reinstalled
> WindowsXP recently. But there are some files in cygwin installation
> directory can be deleted. Could somebody help me?

Presumably, you reinstalled XP but left the previously
installed Cygwin intact.  So now it's possible you have
files that were installed via Cygwin originally with a
user/uid that doesn't exist on your Windows system anymore.
A "Cygwin" way to resolve this would be to 'chown' of all
your files to a uid that exists for your new installation.
You should be able to manipulate the files as that user.
Alternatively, you could change the uid (not your SID!) of
your user in your /etc/passwd file to correspond with your
old uid.  Finally, you could take ownership of the Cygwin
tree using the Windows security property tab.  I expect
you could find other ways to solve this problem too. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746