Re: Cygwin version 1.3.20

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Max Bowsher wrote:

> Henry Da Costa wrote:
> > Hello Mr. Faylor,
>
> You have sent this message to a public mailing list.
>
> > I hope you can help me. I'm looking for a complete Cygwin version 1.3.20
> > set of packages but have so far been unable to find it.
>
> The phrase "complete Cygwin version 1.3.20 set of packages" is meaningless.
> A Cygwin DLL version number does not uniquely identify a set of packages.
>
> > I need that
> > particular version of Cygwin because other versions including the latest
> > one give us an error when used from a development tool for which we
> > don't have the source. Do you know if that Cygwin version is archived
> > anywhere?
>
> It isn't.

That's not entirely true (oh, boy, I'm puttin' my foot in it now...).

If Henry happens to have the setup.ini that he used to install 1.3.20, he
might be able to re-install the versions of those packages, provided he
can find a server which has those package versions still.

FWIW, I have been keeping a running archive of the cygwin website, and
thus all cygwin packages as of 4/15/2002.  I started doing revisioning of
the setup.ini as of 3/11/2003.  The earliest revisions of setup.ini I
have do specify 1.3.20-1 of cygwin, but, of course, that doesn't
guarantee it lists the exact versions of other, related, packages.  It's
pretty much a crap-shoot.

My ftp server is publicly accessable, so, again, provided Henry can find
the correct setup.ini, and provided the latest setup.exe can still
understand the old setup.ini, he quite possibly could recreate the
"complete Cygwin version 1.3.20 set of packages" :)

This is all theory, but if it's that important, then it might be worth
Henry's efforts.  On the other hand, others have already voiced their
concerns on using older verions of packages, and I share those concerns.
However I also understand that sometimes you really do need to re-create
and older environment.

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>