Re: cygwin 1.5.0 managed mode & backward compatibility

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, Pavel Rozenboim wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I installed cygwin 1.5.0 and remounted all cygwin directories (/,/usr/bin,
> /usr/lib) in managed mode. Now I can't access files that have a capital
> letters that were created before upgrade to 1.5.0.
>
> pavel@PAVEL ~
> $ ls
> /bin/ls: GNUstep: No such file or directory
> /bin/ls: QB: No such file or directory
> /bin/ls: QB1: No such file or directory
> /bin/ls: QB2: No such file or directory
> /bin/ls: Sol: No such file or directory
> /bin/ls: Sol1: No such file or directory
> /bin/ls: TL: No such file or directory
> /bin/ls: WL: No such file or directory
>
> it is possible to access these files if their names are typed in non-capital
> letters.

Managed mode is meant to be used from scratch on an empty directory, not a
directory that already has contents and *not* for the kitchen sink.

Put it this way: If you want to have access to those files, revert your
mount-table.

To anyone else who wishes to re-mount their entire Cygwin installation under
managed mode, please make sure you seek advice from your therapist before doing
so.

Elfyn

--
Elfyn McBratney, EMCB  |  http://www.nongnu.org/wwwauth/