Re: development under 1.5.0 ?s

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Brian Ford wrote:
>
> > Yeah, that's what I thought.  I was hopping we might have figured out an
> > easy way to do this by now, though.  Oh, well.  I'll figure it out myself.
> >
> > One reason I ask is that I am the unofficial lesstif maintainer, and I
> > need to figure out when it is safe to build the new lesstif libs.
>
> If you use no other DLLs, you can simply recompile the lesstif DLLs and
> release them in a test package.  Otherwise, check the prototypes of the
> functions your DLLs call to see if they contain any of the changed
> datatypes (see Chris's reply), perhaps recursively in structs.  If not,
> you can use them.

I just checked, and lesstif only depends on the Xlibs.  I haven't checked
yet, and don't plan to (that's a huge job!), if any of the Xlib
interfaces use any of the types that changed sizes, however.

So, being the conscientious package maintainer that I am, do I go ahead and
release a new test lesstif package before the Xlibs have been recompiled,
or do I wait?

lesstif should come out the same regardless.  But depending on
the types used in the Xlib interfaces, my new lesstif test package may be
broken until a new Xlib test package is installed and released.

Do I have this right?

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer