Re: Advice on where to look to solve a problem

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Steve wrote:

> Hi;
>
> I'm on windows 2000 with cygwin.
>
> I need to make a script that will check all of the file modified dates
> on all of the files in a list of directories.   If any of these dates is
> older then the current date I want to print the name of the file and the
> date to a file.
>
> I'm new to bash scripting and many unix commands.  What are the commands
> that I want to loook at that could do these things for me?

`man find'
`man date'
`man bash'

There's no easy way to explain it in a nutshell, as you'll have to script the
expressions to meet your criteria. Basically, `date' will give you a date
format, `find' has options to find files according to modification time (mtime)
and you'll need bash (or ash) to script it.

Alas, this mailing list is for Cygwin problems and questions etc, so you'll need
to ask another forum/list for extra help as needed.

HTH,
Elfyn

--
Elfyn McBratney, EMCB