Re: Source for upset package

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, Jim Kleckner wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Jim Kleckner wrote:
> >
> >>I see references to a package called upset to
> >>manage the creation of release areas.  I looked
> >>searched vigorously on cygwin-apps and cygwin
> >>lists and looked through the site including the
> >>pointer to the CVS web link and didn't find it.
> >>Also downloaded and extracted the setup source
> >>and searched for scripts and make targets.
> >>There is an "inilint" program but that just
> >>appears to check ini files.
> >>
> >>Would someone mind pointing to any existing
> >>documentation on upset and how setup.ini
> >>is constructed?  Where is the source for it?
> >>
> >>Apologies if I somehow missed it.
> >>
> >>Thanks - Jim
> >
> > A Google search for "cygwin upset cvs" returned
> > <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2002-07/msg00175.html> as the first
> > match...
>
> Igor, thanks for the pointers.
>
> I was using the mailing list htdig search facility which doesn't perform
> nearly so well as Google:
>
> http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/htsearch?method=and&format=builtin-long&sort=time&config=htdig&restrict=%2Fml%2Fcygwin-apps%2F&words=upset+cvs
>
> Compare this with:
>
>   http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cygwin+upset+cvs
>
> In particular, the summaries don't give you a good idea of the content.
>   Should users be directed away from the htdig searching?  Or even
> better, just use Google to do the searching within cygwin.com.  I
> obviously wasted considerable time in the wrong maze when I would
> normally have used Google.

In general, ht://Dig is ok for 1- or 2-word queries, but for anything
else, you're better off using Google (with the understanding that you'd
have to search both site:cygwin.com and site:sources.redhat.com, and that,
TTBOMK, Google cannot restrict the search to a subdirectory of the site,
e.g., "cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/").

> Also, note that if there had been a link in this page:
>   http://cygwin.com/cvs.html
> to this location:
>   http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/?cvsroot=sourceware
> then it would have been possible to find it by looking at the
> repository.  After the hint from the email posting, I guessed the
> possibility of going "up" the cvs tree and hand edited the link
> which is how I got to this page.  Not the most direct route.
>
> Just trying to help other travellers.
> Jim

FYI, the cvsweb.cgi script produces a chooser box at the top of the page
which allows you to select the CVS Root without hand-editing the URL.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu