Re: CYGWIN_ROOT Question

It's pretty unlikely that setup would put part of your installation on
one drive and directory and the rest elsewhere.  I checked the font
packages (which is really gratuitous) and things there are fine.  More
likely, you inadvertently installed these packages to a different location
with an earlier or subsequent invocation of setup.

You should be able to move these directories as you suggest, provided that
you move them to the proper installation root and you adjust the mount
point used by X to find these directories.  But it's probably easier and
definitely less error-prone to just remove these packages and reinstall
them in the proper location via setup.

Larry

Gerald Pekmezi wrote:

Thanks for the reply

I have come to believe this is an X problem after all and will add a post
there.
It seems that during my cygwin installation everything was installed in D:
(D:\usr, D:\bin etc), except for usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts. which was instead
installed as C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts . When I restore the latter
XWin will run however it refuses to do so if
C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts does not exist. I did add the font
directory to D:\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\, but it did not make a difference.
Possible bug in cygwin setup.exe?

"Larry Hall" <cygwin-lh@cygwin.com> wrote in message
3F02E9F7.6010505@cygwin.com">news:3F02E9F7.6010505@cygwin.com...

Gerald Pekmezi wrote:

Thanks in advance for helping.

I originally had Linux RH9 installed on the second partition of my

primary

(and at the time only) harddrive. I have since dedicated a secondary

hard

drive to Linux, and figured I would completely dedicate the partition to
Cygwin (D:\). However I have begun to suspect that setting CYGWIN_ROOT

D:\ is not sufficient (XWin refuses to run, I don't think its an X

problem,

but if it is I guess this post will be moved).
My question is whether there is a quick fix to this or whether it is

more

trouble than it is worth.

Hm.  Now that's a good one.  Perhaps my memory is failing me but in all
the years I've been using Cygwin, I don't ever recall CYGWIN_ROOT being
officially used.  Perhaps you should back up and start over with:

<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>

and

<http://cygwin.com/lists.html>