Re: newbie shell-users howto, guide, cheatsheet, or reference?

on Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 11:26:14AM -0400, Christopher Faylor (cgf-rcm@cygwin.com) wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 10:12:32AM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> >on Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 08:31:40PM +0100, Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:

> >> Given my research and responses (both on and off list), I'll be
> >> putting together something shortly at http://twiki.iwethey.org/,
> >> which the Cygwin project will be free to use.
> >
> >For better or worse, started as:
> >
> >    http://twiki.iwethey.org/Main/CygwinEndUserQuickReference
> >

> >Peace.
>
> Rather than throwing your efforts out there and expecting "the cygwin
> project" to use them, why don't you investigate what is required to
> change the actual documentation?  A getting started section could be
> added to the actual documentation.
>
> As a general rule, your efforts will have a much wider audience and
> will benefit more people if you direct them towards the actual
> distribution rather than putting them on a personal web page.

I've been through the existing Cygwin docs.  I don't see anything
specifically answering this need.

The page isn't a personal web page.  IWeThey is a group of tech
professionals who've been loosely associated for over five years, and
have run a number of web and other Internet-based services for much of
this time.  I've got a big hand in the TWiki.  It's not by any means
limited to me alone, only my product.

I'm developing this documentation as much for my own use as for the
community's.  Which is to say, I'll want to be able to update and modify
the docs as time goes by.  Consider the interim docs a work in progress.

I've found the Wiki model to be useful and valuable for developing
online resources.  An example of this is http://sco.iwethey.org/, a
compendium on information regarding the Caldera/SCO vs. IBM Linux
lawsuit.  This started just a month ago as three Google search links.
It's now well over 60 pages of printed material (probably closer to
100), most of it not written by me.  It's a powerful mechanism for
collaborative documentation development.

The document I'm developing presently is just that -- a document in
development.  When it's at a stage I feel it's suitable for inclusion in
the core Cygwin docs, I'll contact whomever is appropriate and y'all can
cleave off a snapshot.  I'll likely continue to use the TWiki as a
development tool however, for extending this and related docs.

Peace.

  TWikIWeThey: An experiment in collective intelligence.  Stupidity.  Whatever.
    Technical docs, discussion, reviews, opinion.
      http://twiki.iwethey.org/