Re: Question about Cygwin License

Marcel Telka wrote:

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 06:46:03PM -0400, Sam Steingold wrote:

* Honorable Marcel Telka <marcel@telka.sk> writes:

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 05:51:44PM -0400, Cary Lewis wrote:

I want to use cygwin with a proprietary system.

As I do not want to publish my source code, I know I need a "breakout"
license from RedHat.

I am not changing cygwin, I am simply using the cygwin.dll to get a Unix based system to run under Windows.

Cite from GNU GPL <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>:

Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not
covered by this License; they are outside its scope. The act of
running the Program is not restricted, and the output from the Program
is covered only if its contents constitute a work based on the Program
(independent of having been made by running the Program). Whether that
is true depends on what the Program does.

linking against a GNU GPL (not LGPL!) library makes your program GPL, even if the library is dynamic (DLL).

<http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/clisp/clisp/doc/Why-CLISP-is-under-GPL?rev=HEAD>

therefore, if you distribute a program which relies on cygwin.dll
(which, IIUC, is released under the GNU GPL), you have to either

What about this situation?

My program depends on cygwin.dll, but there are two implementations of the
library: one with GNU/GPL license and another one with, say, BSD-like
license.

Should I (in this situation) release my program under GNU/GPL terms?

Can I ask that we steer away from hypotheticals, at least on this
list?  We're talking about Cygwin and it's licenses.  You have a
choice of GPL, a compatible open-source license, or the "buy-out"
license (see <http://cygwin.com/licensing.html>).  Since these license
discussions can get tiresome quickly even when they stay on-topic, it's
best to keep as focused as possible.  The list appreciates your efforts
in this regard.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 838 Washington Street (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746