Re: Question about cygwin License

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 05:51:44PM -0400, Cary Lewis wrote:
>I want to use cygwin with a proprietary system.
>
>As I do not want to publish my source code, I know I need a "breakout"
>license from RedHat.
>
>I am not changing cygwin, I am simply using the cygwin.dll to get a Unix
>based system to run under Windows.
>
>Has anyone purchased a breakout license?
>
>I was told today that the cost was $50,000.00 USD for a 3 year license.
>
>Does that sound right?
>
>It seems unbelievably high to me, considering that MKS has a very similar
>product at only $5,000.00 (which includes 50 run time
>Licenses)

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.  You should definitely go with MKS.

>Any advice would be appreciated.

What advice are you looking for?  Are you doubting that Red Hat knows
how to sell the product that they own?  Or are you looking for cygwin
alternatives -- which would certainly be off-topic for this mailing
list?  If it's the latter lets stop the discussion now.  Sure, we
provide lots of free services to the community but providing a forum for
finding competitors isn't one of them.

FWIW, if I were you, and you really want to use a proprietary cygwin
license, I'd at least try to negotiate with Red Hat.

cgf
--
Please use the resources at cygwin.com rather than sending personal email.
Special for spam email harvesters: send email to aaaspam@sourceware.org