cygipc semaphores not persistent?

I am attempting to use cygipc for its semaphore functionality
in porting some existing UNIX code.

It would appear that semaphores are not persistent?

The code depends on the UNIX semantic of a semaphore being a global
system object that exists regardless of whether any processes are
currently using it.

I have processes coming and going, using the semaphore to mediate
access to a disk-based queue.  I have been debugging the code,
and it appears that the semaphore is destroyed when no process has
it open?
--
Joe Buehler