Re: stderr outputs veerrrryyy slowly

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Brian Dessent wrote:

> Brian Dessent wrote:
>
> > I'm running under Win2k SP3, cygwin.dll version 1.3.22-1, CYGWIN="ntea
> > tty ntsec" (the partition is NTFS), and a bunch of packages all of
> > whatever the latest stable version is according to setup.exe.  I use
> > plain old bash as my shell, no rxvt or X Windows or anything.
>
> Man, why do I always think of stuff AFTER posting?
>
> Anyway, I just remembered that I had tty set in the CYGWIN variable.
> Tried it without tty, and the problem's gone, at least in all the cases
> I could think of where it was happening.
>
> Problem is, not setting tty breaks some stuff.  For example, pico (^C
> doesn't work.)  I'm sure there are other curses things that don't work
> right either.
>
> So, does it make any more sense to anyone now?
>
> Brian

Well, first off, you might want to attach the output of "cygcheck -svr"
(as an uncompressed non-inline text attachment), as per
<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.
Secondly, try running strace on the slow program to see where the time is
going.  The relevant snippets of the trace file might be helpful in
determining the cause of the problem.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/