Re: latest version of vi messes up bash for me

On 10 Jun 2003 at 16:56, Larry Hall wrote:

> Stephen Biggs wrote:
> > On 9 Jun 2003 at 21:16, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
> >

> >>On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 03:57:32AM +0200, Stephen Biggs wrote:
> >>
> >><snip>

> >>Your passwd file is screwed up. Didn't cygwin generate one for you?
> >>
> >>If you login into Windows, use the Users control panel, create a user
> >>Steve. Log into Windows. Start Cygwin. Cygwin will use the entry for Steve.
> >>
> >>If you don't log into Windows, Cygwin looks for uid 500. So just put
> >>Steve:*:500:544:steve:/home/steve:/bin/bash
> >

> > It didn't work with the '*', so I took it out...
> >

> >>Don't use uid 400, gid 401, they are reserved for non-existent entries.
> >

> > Got it...

> >>That's another story. No idea. Use emacs? :)
> >

> > Heh...
> >
> > Still no change with the blind terminal after VI.
>
> It really would be helpful to see the output of cygcheck -r -s -v
> (_attached_).  Can't you just start the bash prompt from cygwin.bat
> at least to get this information?  Also, it would be useful to know
> if vim works for you if you login to Windows and use cygwin.bat
> instead.

-- signature snipped --

After I created the user ID 'steve' in Windows 98 and then logged on to
it, Vim works flawlessly now.  It seems to be some sort of ID screw-up
(proved by the lockup with cygcheck) if your Windows user name is not the
same as your cygwin name.  I can see how this can be a problem on a
system like NT/2K/XP, but Windows 98 is inherently insecure, anyway... oh
well... Windows 98 is going away soon, anyway, but there are still a lot
of people using it, especially out of the US.

I do have this problem that Windows 98 now shows a menu at start-up
asking for which user id to logon with, even though there is only one id,
that with no password. Anybody know how to get the old version of Windows
98 (NOT the SE version!) to logon automatically?  It doesn't show the
login dialog like later versions of Win98.