RE: problem with telnet, xinetd, native console apps

On Monday, June 9 @ 5:22p, I wrote:

> I seem to have run into the same problem that folks with
> inetutils pre 1.3.2-11 had with console output from native
> apps not getting displayed in a telnet session.

> My console app doesn't display any output.

A bit more info here.  I get the same behavior via ssh and sshd.  I'm doing

$ ssh localhost

to start the session, as I was doing

$ telnet localhost

and

$ rsh localhost

before.

I tried getting inetd working and turning off xinetd to see if that would
work, but no luck there.  I think I followed the instructions in
/usr/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-1.3.2.README correctly, but net start inetd fails.
When I reboot the system, I get two errors in the system event log from the
service control manager.  They say that inetd took more than 3 seconds to
start.

Part of the instructions is to set the CYGWIN environment variable to
"binmode tty ntsec" but when I do that, my program stops working even in a
plain old bash with no telnet, no ssh, etc.

Not sure if it's of interest, but my home directory when I start bash is
c:/home/dbyron -- the same as the HOME user environment variable.  My home
directory after telnet or ssh is /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/dbyron
-- same as if I had opened up a cmd window.

If anyone has pointers to get this working, I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks much.

-DB