Re: Sparse file criteria malfunction - binutils produces sparse .exe & .dll files

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 06:03:34PM +0100, Max Bowsher wrote:
>> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>>
>>> Uhm...
>>
>> I like to think that I'm sufficiently trustworthy not to lie about a
clear
>> yes/no fact.
>
> If you can't back up your conclusions with actual code why should we
> assume that you are infallible?  No one is that trustworthy.

I assumed you would trust someone telling you whether the read-only
attribute of a file was set, without needing to see further evidence? To me,
this is an equivalent situation.

>> Personally I think "Don't risk anything if there is no potential gain" is
>> reasonably persuasive.
>
> Lets use the popular reasoning here.  If there was no potential gain
> then Microsoft would not have provided the option, would they?  Since
> they did there has to be *some* potential gain.

But their option isn't on by default. So, presumably, there must be some
circumstances when it is undesirable.

> Thanks for not mentioning that you think a CYGWIN environment variable
> option is the way to go for this.  I guess we're making minor progress
> now.

I would still like some mechanism to force sparse file creation off, but
since that seems unlikely to happen, I guess I will try to think of a way to
improve the heuristic for deciding whether to make files sparse.

Max.