Re: Slight patch for Cron

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 09:53:05AM +0200, Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:
> > On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > > Does it help to set CYGWIN=notty before starting cron?
> > Apparently not, no.
> >
> > Because I'm starting cron from the "startup" part of the start menu, I had
> > to run it from a batch file (
> > set CYGWIN=notty
> > cron.exe
> > ) but I don't think that should make a difference.
> Could you just for fun add a call to RegisterServiceProcess() (that
> works on 9x/Me only) right before the setsid() call in the child code
> and try again?
I'd love to, but I have a Windows NT/4 box and thus don't have
RegisterServiceProcess() (Windows NT Ver 4.0 Build 1381 Service Pack 6, as
per cygcheck output attached to a previous message).

I've seen there's already a FreeConsole in setsid (and accoring to
strace, it's called successfully) but, using process explorer, the
forked-off cron process is not really detached from its parent by calling
setsid. The parent is apparently waiting for the child until it detaches
or dies (killing it kills the parent, but killing the parent doesn't kill
the child).

The same goes for the patched version: the child is not detached from the
parent - the parent is just detached from the console which makes it
invisible to the naked eye (but hey, practically everything is invisible
to my naked eyes: without my glasses I don't see much of anything ;)

The setsid code doesn't look too complicated - if you want I can
experiment with it a little, but you'll have to tell me what kinds of
experiments you want me to do :)

HTH

rlc