From: Eugene Rosenzweig [mailto:eugenius@dodo.com.au]
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 9:45 PM
To: cygwin
Subject: Re: /usr/bin/find: . changed during execution of /usr/bin/find

I seem to have the same problem as you.
It was not there last time I ran updatedb which was a while ago (I do not
have it running automatically).
If anyone remembers, in Windows 95 and 98 if you worked with files on floppy
there was a good chance that windows would keep checking the floppy drive
every time you opened some program. That seemed to have been dealt with but
now on my XP machine, it has returned. If I terminate explorer.exe then
restart it, it whirls the drive. I am hoping a restart later will fix that.
I am convinced that restart (or a couple) is a universal solution to all
problems in windows :-).
More to the problem at hand, if I do 'ls /cygdrive', I get an floppy access,
same with find / -name xxx or find /cygdrive -name xxx
The problem seems to come from /cygdrive directory. Using find anywhere else
does not create a problem (e.g. find ~ -name xxx).
My solution to the updatedb problem was editing /usr/bin/updatedb to add
/cygdrive in the PRUNEPATHS list like so:
: ${PRUNEPATHS="/cygdrive /tmp /usr/tmp /var/tmp /afs"}
I suppose you could also specify this on the command line for updatedb.