Re: New setup: User not found? /cygdrive/h as default home director y?

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 02:07:11PM -0400, Hans Deragon (LMC) wrote:
> Greetings.
>

>   Long time user of cygwin.  Got a new job and off course, first thing I do is install it.  However, I am encounting a problem I never had in previous installations.  The installation was successfull, but when I started a command line window (cygwin.bat), I got the following:
>
> id: cannot find name for user ID 18544

Hans,

here is another possibility in addition to what Igor already wrote.
You may have a uid > 64k. If that is the case, edit /etc/passwd and
change it (the next version of Cygwin will use 32 bit uids).

> mkdir: cannot create directory `/cygdrive/h': No such file or directory
> cp: cannot create regular file `/cygdrive/h//.bash_profile': No such file or dir
> ectory
> bash: cd: /cygdrive/h: No such file or directory

If you installed as a domain user, the installation program created an entry for you
with the command "mkpasswd -l -c". It uses HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH to determine
your home directory. Run "mkpasswd -l -c" and look at the last line to see who
Cygwin thinks you are.

Pierre