From: Igor Pechtchanski [mailto:pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu]
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2003 2:41 PM
To: Hans Deragon (LMC)
Cc: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: New setup: User not found? /cygdrive/h as default home
directory?

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Hans Deragon (LMC) wrote:

> Greetings.
>
>   Long time user of cygwin.  Got a new job and off course, first thing I
> do is install it.  However, I am encounting a problem I never had in
> started a command line window (cygwin.bat), I got the following:
>
> id: cannot find name for user ID 18544
> mkdir: cannot create directory `/cygdrive/h': No such file or directory
> cp: cannot create regular file `/cygdrive/h//.bash_profile': No such file or directory
> bash: cd: /cygdrive/h: No such file or directory
>
>   There are two problems here.  First, cygwin cannot find the name of my
> user.  Is this because my Window account is not set properly?  I suspect
> this, but I have not administrator power on my machine and I am not a
> Windows guru.  This is a problem because when I use ssh it tells me to
> go away because I have no name.  Is there an environment variable I can
> set to trick ssh to working?
>
>   The second problem is the attempt to create the /cygdrive/h .  In the
> /etc/passwd file, by default the /cygdrive/h directory was listed there
> as the home directory for my user.  I do not understand why because
> drive h does not exist on my system, and even if it did, I would not
> have wanted my account to be created there.  Nowhere in the installation
> process was I asked for the default home directory.  I fixed this by
> editing the /etc/passwd and changed the home directory to /home, which I
> believe should be the default and was in the past.  This is not a
> problem for me anymore, but I am reporting it because I find this
> /cygdrive/h default a bit odd.
>
>   BTW, I searched the mailing list archive, but could not find anything
> related to these problems.  If this was discussed previously, I am sorry
> for the repeat; my search keywords where probably poorly choosen.
>
> Thanks,
> Hans Deragon

The message that it cannot find user name for your user id means that your
/etc/passwd file was not created correctly.  The high value of the user id
indicates that you logged in as a domain user.  If you've installed as the
same user, it's a bit surprising that the default settings didn't work.
If you've installed as a different user, you'll need to do "mkpasswd -u
YourUser -d >> /etc/passwd".  As for HOME being set to /cygdrive/h, you
probably have a HOME variable in your Windows environment that points to
"H:" (left over from some program installation, most likely).

Most of the above is guesswork.  A more definite answer could be given
once you post the output of "cygcheck -svr" (as an uncompressed text
*attachment*, as indicated in <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/