Re: Should PERLIO=no_crlf be the default on Cygwin?

Hallo Greg,

Am Samstag, 31. Mai 2003 um 00:50 schriebst du:

> On Fri, 30 May 2003, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

>> Hallo Max,

>> > Is there any way to tell perlio "just let the system (i.e.
>> > cygwin) handle things"?  That would be a nice default.

>> I need to patch the sources to do this, but it is no major problem,
>> I'm already testing with the patched version and it seems to be the
>> best solution to make no_crlf the default for Cygwin, it is also no
>> problem then to pull it in everytime it is needed with PERLIO=crlf.

> It would be good to be able to use the 'open' pragma to do this,
> rather than an environmental variable.

>         use open IN  => ":crlf", OUT => ":bytes";

> But it didn't seem to work.

It seems that, according to the open.pm docs, only these layers are
available:
   use open ':utf8';
   use open ':locale';
   use open ':encoding(iso-8859-7)';
   use open ':std';

These two layers are pseudo layers which are only available when Perl
is built without perlio:
   use open IN  => ":crlf", OUT => ":bytes";

More about this> perldoc open

It works when not using the pragma, but as argument to open():

#!/usr/bin/perl
open OUTFILE, ">:crlf", "text.txt";
print OUTFILE "This is a test.\n";
close OUTFILE;