RE: windows XP: how to activate the beep (when XP loses the default beep)

> This is what I had to do to enable the beep under:
> Windows XP Home Edition Ver 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1
> Cygwin.dll 1.3.22
>
> It seems that cygwin from 1.3.21 uses the windows "default beep" sound. I
> wasn't able to set the default beep with the control panel "sounds
> and audio devices" applet until I edited the registry adding a key:
> My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\.Default
>
> After doing this I could then use the control panel applet to set a sound
> for "default beep".

Lev, you are a GOD.  I've had no beep at work for ages now, and that did the
trick.

DING DING DIDIDIDIDIDIDING!!!  My coworkers hate me once again. ;-)

> Doing a quick google it seems that this is a common problem with windows
> xp - somehow it occasionally (and randomly, by all accounts) "loses" the
> default beep, usually during sound driver installation.

"Hello, my name is Bill Gates.  I have been the richest person in the world for
like a decade now, yet I cannot get my company's product's most critical data
storage subsystem to behave in a deterministic manner.  Nor have I been able to
find a competent hair stylist.  Yet I am still the richest man in the world.
Makes no sense, does it?"

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.