RE: getting cron to work -> status too large for sendmail?

cron does not use sendmail for mail delivery.
It uses a small program call ssmtp.  Before
trying to get cron to send email, be sure that
it is working properly without it.  Try a
simple cron job such as:

* * * * * pwd >> /tmp/pwd.txt

or

* * * * * /usr/bin/date >> /tmp/date.txt

or

* * * * * /usr/bin/env > /tmp/env.txt

If these do not produce what you expect,
then please run the attached script.  It
will attempt to diagnose problems with your
cron setup.  You may need to run it several
times because it stops each time it finds
a problem.