Re: C-M combination in cygwin + rxvt + bash + emacs

Adam Griffiths wrote:

Thanks for your reply Joe, if I run emacs (with the -nw switch) in an xterm
it work as expected, running emacs as an X11 program is incredibly slow on
my machine using Xfree86 or Vista Exceed as x servers. In fact it's so slow
that after 5 minuets I gave up waiting for the screen to display.

There's something wrong there, it shouldn't be that slow. Make sure you are running the latest Cygwin emacs. The earlier versions loaded various startup LISP files while you waited. Later versions have all that preloaded in the executable.

Xfree86 is slower than Exceed, both seem to double in speed when I disable
Norton Antivirus (2003) but are still quite slow. Starting an Xterm with

We have Norton diabled on our NT build machines at work -- it makes builds take twice as long. Intel must love it. -- Joe Buehler