RE: Writing mathematical formulas

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) wrote:

> [...]

I meant the native Windows version of GhostView.  Some people don't want
to take the time to install/run X[*].  Besides, IMO, the native version is
better for printing, too.

[*] I do run X, but I don't use it to preview PostScript, for example...

> > >  Why not tell to use
> > > $ startx &;xdvi
> > > instead, which seems to be bundled within cygwin...
> >
> > Well, for one, I use Yap (that comes with MiKTeX) as my dvi viewer, so I
> > wasn't aware that xdvi came with some Cygwin package (turns out it does:
> > <http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=bin%2Fxdvi> -- whaddaya
> > know?).  Thanks for enlightening me.
>
>  N.P. I have gotten convinced that everyone, no matter how
> knowledgeable, will eventually get convinced on some subject. One simply
> can't keep up with everything new that appears these days.
>
> SIDENOTE: Here I wonder if I really make my self understood: The English
> word "Convinced", according to my dictionary, has two very different
> meanings. To me, they seem contradictory. In Swedish these two words are
> 'Overtyga' (make somebody change his/hers mind) and 'Overbevisa' (proof that
> sb. has been wrong on a subject).

FYI, many languages, e.g., Russian, also have one word with these two
meanings.

> > So, if the OP decides to use LyX, he'll have XFree86 installed anyway, and
> > it would also make sense to install the tetex-x11 package and use the xdvi
> > that comes with it.  The "dvips" step may be skipped then, and only used
> > to generate a PostScript file for printing.  OTOH, if the OP decides to
> > work with LaTeX directly, he may not want to go to the trouble of
> > installing the whole X subsystem just to view the resulting file, in which
> > case installing either GhostView or Yap from MiKTeX would make perfect
> > sense.
>
>  Hmm... I wonder if ghostscript can help in printing PS to a non-PS printer?
> I'll have to read up on that; unless you can give me a hint or two? :-)

Yes.  The old "lpr" shell script used gsprint (which is just ghostscript
in disguise) to send PostScript files to any Windows printer.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu