Re: Question about "rexec"

On Fri, 23 May 2003, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

> Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc.) wrote:
>
> > Andrew DeFaria wrote:

> >> Herein I believe my difficulties lie. That an not understanding
> >> Windows permissions vs Unix permissions and how such things are
> >> mapped. Here's what I do know:
> >>
> >> $ cd ~/.ssh
> >> $ ls -l
> >> total 6
> >> -rw-r--r--    1 adefaria Domain U      227 May 22 17:10 authorized_keys
> >> -rw-r--r--    1 adefaria Domain U      227 May 22 15:25 authorizedkeys
> >> -rw-r--r--    1 adefaria Domain U      887 May 22 15:22 id_rsa
> >> -rw-r--r--    1 adefaria Domain U      227 May 22 15:22 id_rsa.pub
> >> -rw-r--r--    1 adefaria Domain U     1624 May 22 15:19 known_hosts
> >> $ chmod 600 id_rsa*
> >> $ ls -l
> >> total 6
> >> -rw-r--r--    1 adefaria Domain U      227 May 22 17:10 authorized_keys
> >> -rw-r--r--    1 adefaria Domain U      227 May 22 15:25 authorizedkeys
> >> -rw-r--r--    1 adefaria Domain U      887 May 22 15:22 id_rsa
> >> -rw-r--r--    1 adefaria Domain U      227 May 22 15:22 id_rsa.pub
> >> -rw-r--r--    1 adefaria Domain U     1624 May 22 15:19 known_hosts
> >>
> >> Nothing. So I go into Windows Explorer and look at the Security
> >> setting on the Properties dialog. I attempt to remove the users in
> >> the Security section and it tells me that I have to stop inheriting
> >> permissions. So I go to stop inheriting permissions and tell it to
> >> remove everything. Now nobody's listed in the Securities section.
> >> Windows warns me that only the create of the file will be able to
> >> access it. I look in Cygwin with ls -l and the mode bits are the
> >> same. I try the chmod again and there is no change! So I add my user
> >> back to having full control. My user is the only user listed now but
> >> the mode bits are still 644.
> >>
> >> When I try to ssh $(hostname) cmd I get:
> >>
> >> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> >> @         WARNING: UNPROTECTED PRIVATE KEY FILE!          @
> >> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> >> Permissions 0644 for '/us/adefaria/.ssh/id_rsa' are too open.
> >> It is recommended that your private key files are NOT accessible by
> >> others.
> >> This private key will be ignored.
> >> bad permissions: ignore key: /us/adefaria/.ssh/id_rsa
> >>
> >> Now what?!?
> >>
> >> (It would be nice if somebody who really knew the algorithm could
> >> explain Windows permissions and how they are mapped to Unix mode bits).
> >
> > Or you could just look at the FAQ:
> >
> > Why doesn't chmod work?
> > <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_toc.html#TOC45>
>
> All that this says is to insure that you have ntsec set. I have it set.
> chmod still doesn't work! BTW I'm on Windows XP and use NTFS. My home
> directory is on the server (/us is a mount of //<server>/<share>).

Andrew,

For Samba shares you need to have 'smbntsec' set -- 'ntsec' only affects
local drives (and the ability to set user/group ids correctly, so you
still need that set).  Also make sure your /etc/passwd and /etc/group are
up to date.  I've found that I actually had to create a fake group in
/etc/group and set it as my primary to be able to access a Samba share
mapped from DFS on AIX.  *sigh*

> Next idea?
>
> P.S. It would still be nice if somebody who really knew the algorithm
> could explain Windows permissions and how they are mapped to Unix mode bits!

I believe <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#NTSEC-FILES> does an
adequate job of this...
	Igor
--