POSIX emulation layer questions

Hello,

I used to use cygwin some time ago. I currently have an application that I
am writing for Linux that uses some basic POSIX system calls which include
calls for reading environment variables, setting a process's home directory,
and reading directories, all of which are POSIX but not part of C. However
I have heared that Windows is POSIX compliant due to US DoD regulations.
I would like to execute the POSIX calls under windows. Do I need to link
with the cygwin dll or is support for such calls already there. I would
like to download as least as possible just so I can get the application
to compile under windows (which means I guess I don't even need a shell).
Can I use the borland free compiler? I ask because I am using Qt.

Thanks,

Neil