Re: cygwin.bat

On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 03:11:30AM +0100, Sam Edge wrote:
>cjf wrote in <20030511002234.GD17951@redhat.com>
>in gmane.os.cygwin on Sat, 10 May 2003 20:22:34 -0400:

>> >Maybe not.
>> >If you start up bash.exe directly by double-clicking it or by putting
>> >bash.exe in a shortcut, then only one process is created.
>> >
>> >If you use cygwin.bat, then under Windows NT/2k/XP you first have a
>> >CMD.EXE process created and then a bash.exe. The CMD.EXE sits around
>> >doing nothing until the bash.exe process exits.
>> > [snip]
>
>> Translation: Except for a neglible startup cost, it's probably his
>> imagination.
>
>Negligible on a modern PC. Noticeable on some of the kit I've got
>here. ;-)

I *really* find that hard to believe.  I've run cygwin on some pretty
slow computers and I've never noticed a slowdown from running bash
in a command shell.  Even Windows should be smart enough to know that
it can swap out most of command.com when bash.exe is running so I
don't know how this could be a resource thing.

cgf