Re: inetd login problems

Paul,

First off, the output of "cygcheck -svr" (attached, as per
<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>) would really help under the
circumstances.  More replies inline below.

On Fri, 9 May 2003, Paul Grinberg wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am running cygwin under WinNT (CYGWIN_NT-4.0 1.3.22(0.78/3/2)
> a service using cygrunsrv following instructions I found somewhere on
> the web.  This has worked for me in the past.
>
> I had no need to log into my machine for a few months, during which, I
> had updated the cygwin installation. Now, when I try to telnet into it,
> I don't even get the login prompt; only this:
>
> Trying 10.40.11.62...
> Escape character is '^]'.
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> and when I ftp into the machine, I get this:
>
> Connected to 10.40.11.62.
> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
>

> I tried restarting the inetd service from within the Control Panel, but
>
> all I get is this error message:
>
> The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022). Click OK to
> terminate the application.

Does the Windows event log show anything?  What about the files in
/var/log?

> So, I tried running inetd manually in debug mode from a terminal. I was
> then able to telnet into my machine, but for some reason, my login
> information is no longer accepted ("login failed" errors). The same
> story for FTP. Any suggestions on what could be going wrong with my setup?

Are your /etc/passwd and /etc/group up to date?  It's hard to venture a
guess without the cygcheck output...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II